Copy of About Us
Jerry Chen: Co-Founder
Before founding Firewalla, Jerry spent nearly 20 years working at Cisco Systems, where he was a senior manager and ran many projects in Security Technology Group, Core Routing Group, and Consumer Business Unit.
"I invented Firewalla after my daughter's baby camera was hacked, and my goal is to prevent such things from happening to other families. "
Melvin Tu: Co-Founder
Melvin is a 10-year veteran of Cisco Systems’ Security Technology Group. There he spent much his time creating one of the world’s leading analytics engines for cyber security monitoring. He is a fan of mobile app development, gaming, and hiking. Melvin is responsible for Engineering
Annie Lu: Co-Founder:
Annie worked in Cisco Systems as a senior manager for 15 years, splitting her time between Security Technology Group and Optical Networking Group. She is also a founder of a toy company and an amateur photographer. She is passionate about making customers happy. Annie is responsible for operations.
We are a bunch of networking and security engineers; when someone hacked our baby camera, we had to bring out professional equipment to fix the problem.
"What will our neighbors do?”
"Do you know you are under Cyber Attack?"
This inspired us to create Firewalla. We want to make Cyber Security Simple and Affordable. We want to pack all the professional tools we use and make it simple for consumers to secure the world of digital things, control kids internet access, block ads, and even manage social media!
We have families, and we build a button called family time…
Firewalla was funded through Kickstarter and later followed through via Indiegogo In-demand. We shipped all of our orders as of late February 2018, and now we are in production.
- Simplify Cybersecurity: Cybersecurity is complex; It is even more complicated for the home and small business. We want to make this experience as simple as possible.
- Enterprise technology for the home: cyber technologies are already there for large enterprises. They are complex because they need to scale and operate in very complex environments. We take the same technology, simplify, and scale it down for the home.
- We believe security needs to be open. We fully open sourced the code running on the Firewalla box. This blueprint that runs the Firewalla is open to inspection and open to innovation.
- We believe in evolution. Our team thinks security is based on continuous improvements. We believe in shipping code often and early.
- We believe in extensibility. Fundamentally, we build our software to be extensible, expect more and more features joining the box.