Jerry Chen: Co-Founder
Before founding Firewalla, Jerry spent nearly 20 years working at Cisco Systems, where he was a senior manager and ran many projects in Security Technology Group, Core Routing Group, and Consumer Business Unit. He was also a member of Cisco InfoSec Team, focusing on data protection.
"I invented Firewalla after my daughter's baby camera was hacked, and my goal is to prevent such things from happening to other families. "
Jerry graduated from University of California at Santa Barbara with MS and BS in Electrical Engineering.
Melvin Tu: Co-Founder
Melvin is a 10-year veteran of Cisco Systems’ Security Technology Group. There he spent much of his time creating one of the world’s leading analytics engines for cyber security monitoring. He is a fan of mobile app development, gaming, and hiking. Melvin is responsible for Engineering
Melvin started college when he was 14 years old, he graduated from Southeast University with MS and BS in Computer Networking.
Annie Lu: Co-Founder:
Annie worked in Cisco Systems as a senior manager for 15 years, splitting her time between Security Technology Group and Optical Networking Group. She is also a founder of a toy company and an amateur photographer. She is passionate about making customers happy. Annie is responsible for operations.
Annie is a graduate of Texas Tech Univerity with a BS degree in Computer Science.
You are here, we assume you want to learn a bit about us. We are a bunch of engineers trying to solve problems. Everyone in the company writes code, and we are all pretty good at it. All of us worked on networking and security, all of us have strong Information Security background, and all of us used to work together before this.
When someone hacked our baby camera, we had to bring out professional equipment to fix the problem. We realized that regular folk needed a simple way to protect themselves. We asked ourselves these questions:
"What will our neighbors do if this happens to them?”
"How will they know they’re under cyber attack?"
Our experience and these questions inspired us to create Firewalla. Our goal is to make cybersecurity both simple and affordable. We’ve packed Firewalla with all the professional tools we use in a consumer-friendly package to let people secure the world of digital things, control kids internet access, block ads and even manage social media. And since we have families, we even built in a button called family time!
Simple And Sophisticated
Our team is highly experienced in building very complex systems for the enterprise and service providers. These types of equipment are often very sophisticated, because, they do a lot of things, and they do it very well. Complex ... yes.
We want to simplify ... but not too dumb. So behind our box, you will find our engineering culture, a simple interface, simple box, and look deeper you will find a very powerful system that's sophisticated.
Firewalla was funded through Kickstarter with later support through Indiegogo In-demand. Our initial orders were shipped in late February 2018, and we are now in full production.
Our crowdfunding experience and our awesome early adopters helped us to focus and refine our product. We’d like to thank every one of our early Firewalla users.
- Simplify. Cybersecurity is complex, and even more complicated for the home and small business. We want to make this experience as simple as possible.
- Customer #1. We had customers before we even had a product. We love this and want to make this an integral part of our DNA.
- We believe enterprise technology should work for the home as well as for large enterprises. We take the complex and scalable tech designed for large applications, then simplify and scale it down for the home.
- We believe security needs to be open. Firewalla code is fully open sourced, so the blueprint that runs the Firewalla red box is open to inspection and to innovation.
- We believe in evolution. Our team believes security is based on continuous improvements. We believe in shipping code often and early to take advantage of this.
- We believe in extensibility. We build our software to take future advances in software and features so your system can grow.