Before founding Firewalla, Jerry spent nearly 20 years working at Cisco Systems, where he was a senior manager and ran many projects in Security Technology Group, Core Routing Group, and Consumer Business Unit. He was also a member of the Cisco InfoSec Team, focusing on data protection.
"I invented Firewalla after my daughter's baby camera was hacked, and my goal is to prevent such things from happening to other families. "
Jerry graduated from University of California at Santa Barbara with MS and BS in Electrical Engineering.
Melvin is a 10-year veteran of Cisco Systems’ Security Technology Group. There he spent much of his time creating one of the world’s leading analytics engines for cybersecurity monitoring. He is a fan of mobile app development, gaming, and hiking. Melvin is responsible for Engineering.
Melvin started college when he was 14 years old. He graduated from Southeast University with MS and BS in Computer Networking.
Annie worked at Cisco Systems as a senior manager for 15 years, splitting her time between Security Technology Group and Optical Networking Group. She is also a founder of a toy company and an amateur photographer. She is passionate about making customers happy. Annie is responsible for operations.
Annie is a graduate of Texas Tech University with a BS degree in Computer Science.
Michelle has diverse industry experience in computer networking, SaaS and B2B/B2C e-Commerce. Most recently she held leadership roles across disciplines in product management, marketing and strategy at Balluun (a B2B SaaS company) and The RealReal (NASDAQ: REAL, leading marketplace for luxury resale). She started her career at Cisco and spent 11 years in engineering, technology strategy, and business development capacities. She’s the lead inventor of 2 network flow patents. At Firewalla she wears multiple hats with a focus on driving revenue growth.
Michelle has a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering from NCSU, and MBA from the Haas School at Berkeley.
We are a bunch of engineers trying to solve the cybersecurity problem. We want to bring our experiences securing large enterprises to consumers. Something simple to use, affordable and powerful enough we like to use ourselves.
Here are some facts about our core team.
- We all know each other for more than 10 years and worked together in the same team, same company for 8 years.
- We are all developers, we all code (except for Annie, she does things in Java).
- We all worked on routers, switches, and security. And all have real-world experiences running Corporate Information Security.
- We all strongly believe that customer happiness is our key to success.
- We left our corporate offices, because we believe in entrepreneurship and how it can change the world.
- Most of us are nocturnal.
Making cybersecurity simple, affordable, and powerful for everyone.
Firewalla was funded through Kickstarter in 2017 and later via Indiegogo in 2018 and 2019.
- In 2017, we introduced the Firewalla Red on Kickstarter and Indiegogo.
- In 2018, we introduced the Firewalla Blue on Indiegogo.
- In 2019, we introduced the Firewalla Gold on Indiegogo
Our crowdfunding experience and our awesome early adopters helped us to focus and refine our product. We’d like to thank every one of our early Firewalla users.